Thursday 13 September 2012

Week 1 Metalwork Project

This week i was asked to create a small metal work sculpture using a wooden block. The project brief was set around Ndidi Ekubia and Hiroshi Suzuki's metalwork sculptures. I decided to take a closer look at Ndidi Ekubia's work more closely for inspiration...


I liked the idea of creating small pieces of metal to encorporate in my sculpture by using a variety of different techniques on each piece.


I also like the way that Ekubia uses flowing lines and shapes in all of her sculptures, so i tried to encorporate this into my sculpture too. (above images from google.com).

Here are some progressive images of my sculpture...




I created this piece using tin plated steel, I acid etched the steel before colouring it by heating the exposed steel to create this lovely roinbow effect. I like this piece because it is colouful and it also includes the fluidity, which i intended to base my piece around.






Step by step i started to nail the pieces of metal together onto the block of wood, however, i found thad the aesthetic side if the block so far was not verry pleasing because i think i rushed into the processes and didn't put enough thought behind them.




I quite liked the above piece i created by melting holes in the brass because of its unpredictability and the melted clumps created quite an aesthetically pleasing effect in their own right.




Shown above are the images of the final piece, i believe that i rushed into this piece too quickly and therefore i found that i made silly mistakes that could have been avoided if i had taken more care. Although i do not like this piece because of its roughness and overall scruffy look, i like the final image i took because it shows the sculpture in a better light... (this is the only side i feel that "flows" adequately).

No comments:

Post a Comment